Gregor Guy-Smith is a is a recognised international criminal lawyer with a global reputation undertaking international legal cases providing advice, consultancy and training services to governments, international organisations, and private clients.
Background and expertise
Gregor has represented military leaders, and private clients charged with genocide, murder, terrorism and crimes against humanity, in domestic and international courts. He has represented clients in complex litigation including extradition, securities and death penalty cases. He was former President of the Association of Defence Counsel for the ICTY. Known for his incisive strategic thinking he is often enlisted to assist legal counsel and teams in their work. He has lectured on international law at universities in the United States and Europe and has provided training to lawyers in the United States, the International Court for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) and the International Criminal Court (ICC), Lebanon (STL) and in the Balkans.
Lead Defence Counsel in tandem trials in Kosovo.
Submissions on behalf of three Sri Lankan NGOs, relating to the 30-year conflict between the Government of Sri Lanka and the LTTE (Tamil Tigers). 9 Bedford Row submitted detailed reports on aspects of the conflict, supported by evidence from documentary and open sources.
Defence counsel -Acquitted all counts on appeal. 27 year sentence overturned and vacated.
Lead Defence counsel –Acquittal of all 37 counts (2008), Second Acquittal after first retrial in the history of the ICTY on all counts.
Read more Notable cases
- Presidential Commendation for outstanding service, in the practice of international law, to the goals and objectives of liberty: awarded by the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), USA, conferred July 2013, San Francisco
- The International Crimes Act of 1973 and Related Issues (Bangladesh) 2011
- Manual on International Criminal Defence: ADC-ICTY Developed Practices, published by OSCE, ODIHR, UNICRI as part of the War Crimes Justice Project and funded by the European Union (UNICRI, ADC-ICTY, OSCE, ODIHR 2011, Turin, Italy). Author of three chapters: “Burden of Proof and Presumption of Innocence, “Sentencing”, and “Post Conviction.” This Manual is a practice oriented resource reflecting lessons learned and developed practices, written by defence counsel at the ICTY. It has been translated into Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian and Albanian. Project currently underway for translation into French
- Executive Committee, Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY, 2020-present).
- ADC representative to the Advisory Panel to MICT (2013-present).
- Consultant to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon STL (2012).
- Member of Advisory Panel to the President and Registrar of the ICTY (2012-present).
- Disciplinary Panel for the ICTY (2012-present).
- Chair of the ADC_ICTY AD-HOC Post Tribunal Matters Committee Chairperson AD-HOC Post Tribunal Matters Committee of the Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY) (October 2010).
- Executive Committee, Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY, 2010).
- President, Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY, 2005-2006).
- Chairperson, Disciplinary Council of the Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY, 2004-2005).
- Chairperson, Constitutional Review Committee, Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY, 2007-present).
- International Law Committee (NACDL).
- English (mother tongue)
- French (fluent)
- Spanish (conversational)
PROFILE: Gregor Guy-Smith
020 7489 2727
Association of Defence Counsel at the International Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia Defence Counsel (ICC list counsel) Defence Counsel (STL-list counsel) National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (U.S.A.)